The 30-Day Zero Waste Baby Steps Challenge will equip you with the knowledge, tools, and resources you need to try living Zero Waste.I am so excited to show you how powerful Zero Waste can be! If you’ve been itching to make your life a more intentional, more sustainable one, this challenge is for you. You’ll learn how to make a seamless transition from an average life to a more eco-friendly one in a matter of days.
Does this mean you’ll be instantly Zero Waste? No. But you’ll be a lot closer than you were before. Sound like fun? Read on!
What is the Baby Steps Challenge?
The Baby Steps Challenge is a collection of 4 weeks worth of simple and easy steps you can take to dramatically reduce your waste, live a simpler life, and keep the planet healthy!
Every day, you will receive a blog post straight to your inbox detailing your step for the day and how you can take action. Every 7th day you’ll get a rest day to catch up and take a break! Here’s how the 30 days will look.
Week 1, you’ll learn how to:
- Prepare your space for Zero Waste by decluttering.
- Eat down your pantry so you can start fresh.
- Locate local resources like farmers markets and bulk shopping locations.
- Access and use your recycling center, and learn what’s allowed and what isn’t.
- Set up a small kitchen compost to prevent food waste.
- Put together a bulk grocery shopping kit with reusable bags and jars.
Week 2, you’ll learn how to:
- Start a paperless kitchen by assembling washable kitchen rags.
- Overhaul your cleaning solutions with homemade, chemical-free alternatives.
- Start a sinking fund for new Zero Waste purchases.
- Inform yourself about sustainability by checking out one of my top ten books on sustainability at the library.
- Launder sustainably by making your own laundry detergent.
- Start shopping secondhand and borrow items you rarely need.
Week 3, you’ll learn how to:
- Spread the love and ask friends to participate in Zero Waste with you.
- Say no to single-use plastics like straws, plastic bags and flexible film.
- Say no to paper waste like paper napkins and unnecessary printing.
- Establish a tried-and-true, ethical wardrobe that will last.
- Use food scraps in creative and clever ways.
- Take a hike and get connected with nature.
Week 4, you’ll learn how to:
- Inform yourself about sustainability by watching a Netflix documentary.
- Overhaul your beauty and hygiene routine by making your own, all-natural products.
- Take on junk mail by opting out.
- Equip yourself with a Zero Waste to-go kit for travel.
- Eat less meat in order to care for the environment.
- Make your own toothpaste.
How can I join the Challenge?
- Enter your name and email in the subscription box below to receive new posts to your personal inbox and gain access to the exclusive sweepstakes.
- Join the 30-Day Zero Waste Baby Steps Challenge (2017) Facebook support group here! Use it to ask me questions and communicate with other participants.
- Announce your participation to the world! Share the news on Instagram and ask your friends to support you. The Challenge hashtag is #ZWBabyStepsChallenge.
Meet Your Zero Waste Mentor
For those of you who haven’t met me yet, I’m Lauren, your Zero Waste mentor for this journey! Throughout the Baby Steps Challenge you’ll have unprecedented access to my experience and guidance.
If you ever have immediate questions, reach out to me directly by responding to the email in your inbox or via firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also interact with me (as well as the rest of the Baby Steps community) in the 30-Day Zero Waste Baby Steps Challenge (2017) Facebook support group right here!
A born and bred Pacific Northwesterner and military spouse, I am currently based with my husband in the lovely town of Cheyenne, Wyoming. The Zero Waste Memoirs is my primary passion project – a blog dedicated to helping young people start their journey from wasteful to waste-free!
My passion for social justice and advocacy has been cultivated over a series of roles in the nonprofit sector and marketing consulting. Sustainability is just one of those things that makes my heart sing!
Connect with me?
Never miss a post.
Subscribe to get my latest Zero Waste tips by email!