As your child begins to transition from breastfeeding to drinking independently, it’s even more important to find them a sippy cup which isn’t harmful to their development, or their health. Unfortunately, this seemingly simple task can present parents with a challenge, as some cups, even today, are manufactured from materials that contain potentially harmful chemicals.
Although many of these chemicals do not present an immediate risk to your child, they may affect them later, therefore, it’s much better to search for eco-friendly alternatives from the outset which are non-toxic and plastic-free.
In our guide below, we show you the best eco-friendly sippy cups on the market today, so you can choose the safest sippy cups for your child’s health, and one that won’t add to the plastic pollution problem.
Why Switch to a Plastic-Free Sippy Cup?
Plastic sippy cups are convenient to give to children but they can also be potentially harmful to little ones. Even if a plastic cup is advertised as BPA (bisphenol-A) – free, the chemical may have been replaced with BPS (bisphenol-F) and other toxins including phthalates and polyvinylchloride which can cause health issues including autoimmune disorders, premature puberty, and diabetes.
Plastic cups have also been linked to misshaping the oral cavity, hindering the development of the airways and they can affect the quality of sleep for children.
In contrast, switching to eco-friendly sippy cups, made from glass, stainless steel or natural materials like wheat straw, can enhance the speed at which your child learns to speak and their feeding development, plus, they don’t cause the problems shown above.
These are just a few reasons why it’s wise to consider safer eco sippy cup alternatives to plastic. Of course, the environmental impact of making and disposing of plastic cups is always at the top of our minds too!
Best Non-Plastic Sippy Cups
Fortunately, there are many plastic free cups available, that won’t harm your child or the environment. Discover our favorite non-toxic sippy cups below.
The Munchkin Miracle Stainless Steel Sippy Cup is premium insulated to keep drinks cool for up to 15 hours.
The contoured, lip-activated design encourages your child to drink from any angle which can be beneficial to their mouth muscle development. The cup is easy to use and doesn’t sport any complex features, and thanks to a 360 degree drinking edge and vacuum-sealed design, there are fewer spills too!
When your child has finished drinking, the cup will automatically reseal which helps to avoid accidents. The stainless steel toddler cup lid also makes this one a practical choice for traveling or to use while out and about on walks, plus, the material is durable and resistant to damage, even if handled roughly.
- Age – this sippy cup can be used by children from 12 months and onwards.
- Cleaning – it is dishwasher safe and doesn’t have lots of additional features to clean.
- Colors – there are four different colors to choose from.
- The Lid – it is likely to come off if your child happens to throw the cup.
Designed with toddlers and young children in mind, the Kid Kanteen Water Bottle is sized to enable your little one to hold it with ease.
The large opening makes it easier to pour the liquid inside and it can fit ice cubes in there too.
As the bottle is made from high-grade stainless steel, you can be sure that it is safe for your children. The silicone seal is food-grade standard, and the polypropylene is free from BPA, lead, and phthalates.
This water bottle is compatible with all classic caps from the Klean Kanteen Range so you can select the best option for your child. The first is the spill-proof sippy cap and the second is the silicone sports cap.
- The size – the opening makes it easier to fill the cup.
- Colors – there are currently two different color options available.
- Interior – the electropolished coating ensures that odors from other flavored drinks aren’t retained.
- The Price – it is rather expensive when compared to some competitor offerings
Uniquely designed, this eco sippy cup is handmade made from wheat straw. The lightweight feel and dual handles make it easier for your child to grasp and hold onto, and the silicone seal ensures that possible leaks are avoided if the cup is accidentally dropped or tipped over.
This natural sippy cup also comes with a screw top lid which is easy for parents to secure, but difficult for little ones to remove when unattended.
- The Quality – as this cup is made from durable, high-quality materials, it will have a prolonged lifespan.
- The Design – the lid has been designed to prevent leaks from occurring.
- The Size – the cup is a little small, therefore, may not be the best option for children who are likely to drink a lot.
The Green Sprouts Sip And Straw Cup features a glass exterior with an internal silicone safety shield that prevents any glass from reaching the lid and entering your child’s mouth if a breakage should occur.
The glass toddler cup is also surrounded by a plastic shell to protect the glass from damage. However, as liquids do not come into contact with the plastic, it is safe for your child.
The additional straw can benefit healthy oral development as it encourages your child to use their mouth muscles to sip. The cup also comes with a spout for children who are transitioning from breastfeeding and boasts a drip-free design, so it won’t create a mess as your child drinks from it.
- Shock absorbing base – prevents the cup from damage if it is dropped.
- Cleaning – this cup is dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- Handles – make it easy for your child to grasp onto the cup as they drink.
- The Glass – some may be hesitant about using this cup as it has a glass container, and it can be a little heavier than some cups.
The handles will encourage your child to hold the cup independently and spills are avoided courtesy of a silicone lid which seals to the base of the cup. The straw is also non-detachable so your child won’t be able to remove it themselves.
The BPA free sippy cup is available in five different colors and there are two designs to choose from; plain lid with penguin feet or penguin designed lid and plain feet.
- Cleaning – it is suitable for washing on the top rack of the dishwasher.
- Quality – boasting a sturdy design, it will resist tough handling from your toddler.
- Safety – all of the materials are of food-grade standard.
- The Lid – the lid is prone to detaching from the base which may result in spills.
If you are looking for a practical cup for drinking on the go, the Thermos Foogo Stainless Steel Water Bottle is an excellent choice.
The vacuum seal technology retains its temperature to ensure that contents stay warm for up to 7 hours and cold beverages are chilled for up to 9 hours.
The hygienic push button lid with pop-up straw makes it easy to use – as when the lid opens the spout will pop out. Also leaks are unlikely to be an issue as the bottle features an airtight lid.
- Wide mouth – this makes it easy to add the liquids and drink from too.
- Durable – made from stainless steel it will resist damage.
- Travel-friendly – the design makes it perfect for traveling.
- Cost – it retails at a higher price than other bottles on the market.
If your child loves unique gifts, they are sure to love this glass mason jar sippy cup customized with their name!
The glass sippy cup is BPA-free, and the spout is made from medical grade, BPA-free silicone so it is safe for your child to drink from.
The sippy cup is a sturdy, durable option for toddlers, and it is very hard to break.
- Personalized – as your child’s name can be added to the cup it makes it more personal.
- Quality – not only does it look great; it has been manufactured to a high standard too.
- Durability – these cups have been made to withstand freezing temperatures and boiling water without breaking.
- Handles – As this cup lacks handles, some children may find it difficult to grasp.
The Pura Kiki Stainless Steel Bottle incorporates Pura therma vacuum insulated technology that keeps beverages cold for around 24 hours when ice is added.
Impressively, this bottle doesn’t have any plastic elements at all. Instead, it has been made from food-grade stainless steel and medical-grade silicone which is free of toxins.
The wide neck makes it easy to fill and the lid and straw can also be removed with ease for cleaning purposes.
You can also mix & match the bottle with various other lids and accessories so it can grow with your child as their needs change.
- Warranty – covered by warranty, support is available if needed.
- Silicone sleeve – makes it easier for your child to hold onto.
- Lid – Ideal for travel purposes as it prevents the drink from spilling.
Made from food-grade stainless steel and silicone, these cups with accompanying lids are eco-friendly and great for young kids.
The durable cups can resist damage and they keep beverages cold when supplemented with ice cubes.
They have a lightweight feel and are easy for children to hold and carry. Cleaning the cups is a simple task too, as you are provided with a small brush for the straws.
- Quantity – you are provided with 4 cups per pack to cater to multiple children.
- Sleeves – this feature makes it easy to hold onto the cup.
- Cleaning – they are safe to pop in the dishwasher and also come with a cleaning brush.
- Lid – the lid is prone to detaching from the cup which may result in spills.
Boasting a fun design, these safe sippy cups by SunZio have an animal-shaped silicone lid that is certain to appeal to your child. The cup itself is made from stainless steel and both materials are free from toxins and harmful chemicals.
The soft silicone lid is ideal for children who are transitioning from breastfeeding. The cups are also lightweight, therefore, easy for your child to hold onto.
They are easily cleaned in a dishwasher and there are no areas where bacteria can build up inside, or outside the cup, so your child is always safe.
- Lid replacement – the company offers free lid replacements if the silicone tears.
- Design – the fun design is likely to appeal to young children.
- Quantity – these cups come in a pack of 4, therefore they are interchangeable.
- Lid – the lid is easy to remove and is prone to popping off if the cup is dropped.