There’s no denying that your new bundle of joy is bound to make a lot of mess, but it’s how you choose to contain it that can have a big impact on the health of your baby, the planet, your wallet, and your lifestyle.
Taking care of your baby is just as important as taking care of the environment that they’re going to grow up in! But it can be confusing trying to navigate the various diaper and baby wipe options available. It’s also important to choose eco-friendly diapers that are going to fit in with your budget and lifestyle.
If you’re looking for a way to be more eco-friendly in your family and home life, then eco diapers are most definitely an area you can make a big difference in. Did you know that over 18 billion diapers end up in landfills each year in the US alone?
Add to that the fact that most traditionally-manufactured disposable diapers contain traces of dioxin – a harmful chemical that’s been classed as carcinogenic, and you’ve got a couple of pretty compelling reasons to switch to one of the best environmentally friendly diapers.
Cloth Diapers vs Disposable Diapers
While many who lead a (or are working towards a) zero waste lifestyle may think cloth diapers are inherently better for the environment, the issue is a little more complicated than it may at first appear.
While we can probably all agree that traditional diapering is unsustainable – that is, when companies make no effort to source sustainable materials, use environmentally damaging chemicals and manufacturing processes, and package their goods in plastic. But what about eco-friendly disposable diapers?
That’s when things get a little murkier.
One report suggests that the environmental impact of laundering a reusable diaper is just as bad as buying disposables. “For one child, over two and a half years, these impacts are roughly comparable with driving a car between 1,300 and 2,200 miles.”
Add to that, that not all reusable diapers are created equal. Some use plastics in their leak-proof outers. Others use microfiber inserts that have proven damaging to our water systems.
The case can then be made for environmentally-friendly disposable diaper alternatives. Diapers that, although have to be thrown out at end-of-life, use sustainable materials and processes in their manufacturing, are at least partially biodegradable (although manufacturers’ claims are sometimes vastly exaggerated as most landfill environments make breaking down a very long process), and fairly produced.
10 Most Eco-Friendly Diapers
Ready to look at some alternatives to traditional disposable diapers? We’ve rounded up the most earth-friendly options. So whether you’re looking for eco-friendly disposable diapers or cloth reusable diapers, you’re bound to find the right option for you & your family.
The Eco by Naty Baby Diapers are made with breathable and absorbent plant-based fibers for a comfortable fit.
These baby diapers are dermatologically tested and are free of chlorine bleaching, fragrances, and harsh lotions that could irritate your baby’s sensitive skin, or have a negative impact on their health.
The Eco by Naty diapers are totally eco-friendly to fit in line with your lifestyle, receiving an ‘OK biobased‘ certification that you can put your trust into.
You can rest assured you’re buying one of the most sustainable disposable diapers on the market when you purchase Eco by Naty Baby Diapers.
– Sustainably produced – These diapers are made from materials that have been sourced from FSC-certified forests.
– Vegan – These diapers are entirely cruelty-free and vegan, meaning that no animal testing was done in their production.
– Eco-friendly – The Eco by Naty baby diapers feature renewable plant-based packaging.
The ECO BOOM Baby Bamboo Biodegradable Diapers are made from sustainably harvested bamboo fiber and FSC certified chlorine-free wood pulp. They’re breathable, comfortable, eco-friendly, and chemical-free.
Bamboo is an excellent fabric for diapers because it’s strong and absorbent yet smooth and soft to the touch, meaning that your baby is comfortable and dry all day long.
Eco Boom diapers are FSC, OK biobased, and OEKO-TEX certified. Meaning that you can relax in the knowledge that they’re not greenwashing you with their sustainability claims.
– Naturally hypoallergenic bamboo – This makes these baby diapers ideal for babies with sensitive skin or those who suffer from eczema and are more soft and absorbent for your tot.
– Chemical-free – These diapers do not contain chlorine, alcohol, phthalates, latex, PVC, or TBT.
– Biodegradable packaging – These diapers come wrapped in biodegradable D2W material.
Made from GOTS certified organic cotton and recycled polyester, these cloth reusable diapers from Esembly are one of the most earth-friendly solutions for diapering.
A two-part system, you’ll need to purchase both the absorbent inners, and leak-proof outers to make the most of these eco-friendly diapers, but the long-term savings will far outweigh the initial set-up cost.
Comfortable, blowout-proof, and designed to grow with your baby, the Esembly diaper system is an excellent choice for environmentally conscious parents.
– Sustainable Materials – GOTS certified organic cotton inners and outers made from 100% post-consumer waste.
– Long-Lasting/Less Waste – Diapers will last a long time due to their adjustable sizing and quality construction. You can even use these for more than one child!
– Eco-friendly Company – Esembly is a member of 1% for the planet and is Climate Neutral Certified.
– Initial setup cost is higher than using disposable.
Created using sustainable and biodegradable bamboo sheets, these bamboo disposable diapers from EcoPea represent a new breed of eco-friendly diapering.
Made without any harsh chemicals, chlorine, or added fragrances, they’re the ideal companion for delicate baby bottoms. And they’re super soft too thanks to their unique bamboo construction.
You don’t have to do away with the add-ons some traditional diapers come with when purchasing these bamboo biodegradable* diapers either, as they come with a wetness indicator, blowout guard, and snug fit technology. And of course, they’re 100% cruelty-free and vegan.
– Sustainable, biodegradable materials – These diapers are made from sustainably harvested bamboo and wood pulp.
– Eco-friendly – They use water-based inks and biodegradable packaging.
– Carbon-Neutral – The shipping process that EcoPea Diapers employs is completely carbon neutral.
– While some of the materials used in these eco-friendly diapers are biodegradable, they aren’t a 100% biodegradable product.
This all-in-one diaper from CooperRose ticks all the right boxes when it comes to finding sustainable and earth-friendly diapers for your family.
Made from an organic cotton outer, and an organic cotton & hemp inner, these reusable diapers are comfortable, breathable, and durable. They also ship plastic-free.
Created in small batches in the USA, you can also be happy in the knowledge you’re supporting a black-owned, women-owned, mother-owned business when buying from CooperRose.
– Organic, sustainable materials – these diapers use 100% natural materials. No synthetic fillers, or plastic liners.
– Support local – by supporting CooperRose, you’re buying from a small black-owned, woman-owned business.
– Highly adjustable – means these diapers will last as your baby grows!
– Higher startup cost. But this will pay off in the long term.
The Honest Company Clean Conscious Diapers are made out of chlorine-free fluff pulp and are built with comfort and ease of movement in mind.
These hypoallergenic diapers don’t contain latex, chlorine processing, fragrances, or lotions, making them safe for your little one’s delicate skin.
They are made from entirely plant-based materials that are sustainably harvested, so your baby is not only comfortable but you’re helping the environment by buying them, too!
– Quilted bubble liner – Quickly draws wetness away for dryness throughout the day for your baby’s comfort.
– Cruelty-free – These baby diapers are never tested on animals, so you can rest assured knowing that they are cruelty-free.
– Natural and chlorine-free processing – The Honest Company diapers are made out of sustainably managed pine and spruce trees in Scandinavia, which are then turned into fluff pulp at a Swedish mill using chlorine-free processing.
The Earth + Eden Baby Diapers have a lot to boast about. Made from sustainable materials, in a zero waste to landfill facility, they are truly dedicated to producing the best eco diapers that are good for your baby and the planet.
The breathable outer cover is designed for superior leak protection, while the inner liner is made to wick away moisture and keep your baby dry and comfortable.
These diapers are printed with non-toxic water-based inks and shipped in a cardboard box.
– Clinically proven to be gentle on your baby’s skin – These diapers are free from lotions, parabens, latex, fragrance, and chlorine bleaching.
– Cruelty-free – These diapers are never tested on animals during production, making them an ethical choice for your little one.
– Produced in a zero waste to landfill facility – Meaning that you can rest assured knowing that these diapers are eco-friendly.
– Not biodegradable – Contain some polyethylene/polypropylene.
The ALVABABY Baby Cloth Diapers are a reusable, washable, super-absorbent, and comfortable alternative to disposable diapers.
These baby cloth diapers are fully adjustable, meaning they can grow with your baby so that they are large enough to fit both babies and toddlers!
The ALVABABY cloth diapers are durable and built to withstand the test of time, meaning that you don’t need to keep repurchasing them as you would disposable diapers.
– Good value – Say goodbye to disposable diapers, you only need to purchase cloth diapers once!
– Eco-friendly and sustainable – These baby cloth diapers are sustainable, washable, waterproof, and breathable, ensuring you’re not adding any more landfill waste to the environment!
– 1-year-guarantee – The ALVABABY cloth diapers come with minimal risk. They have a 1-year-guarantee should you feel dissatisfied with your purchase.
– Not made with organic materials.
– Contain microfibre inserts – so be sure to wash with a microfiber laundry ball to catch the microfibers as they shed in your wash.
The Seventh Generation Baby Diapers are designed to keep your baby dry and free from diaper rash.
These diapers are made using only FSC Certified, sustainably harvested plant-based pulp, which helps nurture our planet’s forests, and the animals who call them home.
Seventh Generation diapers are chlorine-free and contain no unnecessary fragrances or lotions. Making them kinder and safe to use on sensitive skin.
– Offers superior dryness – These diapers provide an ultra-absorbent core that keeps baby dryer for longer.
– Sensitive – These baby diapers are made without fragrances, lotions, or chlorine bleaching, so your baby’s skin is as protected as it can be!
– Sustainable – The Seventh Generation baby diapers are FSC Certified, meaning that they are helping to contribute to a more sustainable future.
– Not biodegradable.
The Bambo Nature Eco-Friendly Premium Baby Diapers for Sensitive Skin are designed for the comfort of your baby. Their certified Skin-Safe diapers are rigorously checked to ensure they comply with the toughest standards.
These eco-friendly diapers are free of all known allergens, perfumes, and harmful chemicals. They’re also breathable and soft, to keep babies comfortable longer.
While their manufacturing processes are eco-friendly, and they are free from harmful chemicals, these diapers aren’t made from the most eco-friendly materials available.
– Certified eco-friendly manufacturing and skin-safe – Rest assured knowing that your little one is protected whilst you also do your part to protect the environment.
– Breathable – The breathable back sheet helps heat and moisture escape from around delicate bottoms, helping to prevent irritation, and keeps your baby comfortable and dry.
– Wetness indicator – These diapers feature a handy wetness indicator so that new parents know when changes are needed
– Contain PP, PE & PET – not the most environmentally-friendly diaper materials.
Which of the Best Eco-Friendly Diapers will you choose?
There are plenty of eco-friendly diapers out there that you can try on your tot if you’re trying to make a more conscious effort to decrease your household waste or simply want to take steps towards helping our planet in your everyday life.
I hope this article has provided you with some new must-have products when it comes to finding convenient and earth-friendly diapers. It is important that we all make little changes in our spending habits and support businesses that are contributing to more sustainable materials and a healthier planet for future generations to come. More than ever, we need to protect our environment for our little ones to live a better life in the future.
When it comes to our children, we can all agree that they deserve only the best. Next time you’re at the store, why not make the switch to the most environmentally friendly diapers? You’ll wonder why you didn’t start sooner!